Our small fishing village of Depoe Bay sits right off the popular Highway 101, nestled between Oregon Coast hotspots of Lincoln City and Newport. The coast of Depoe Bay is not that of white sandy flat beaches. It is of rugged coastlines, white caps, and grey whales out at sea. Amongst this dramatic stretch of the Oregon Coast, the town of Depoe Bay is home to seafood shacks, postcard-worthy landscapes, and the world’s smallest harbor. With so many things to do in Depoe Bay, you might think about staying longer than just a weekend.
What to do:
Known as the whale watching capital of Oregon, Depoe Bay is the perfect location to spot these fascinating animals. Sometimes as close as 30 feet away from shore, you will have prime viewing locations throughout the town and from your room in Channel House. Whales are spotted any time of year, but during the late fall and spring are when they are most plentiful, with the best months being December & January as they migrate south and in late March & April, as they return north.
The best places to see the migration of the grey whale is anywhere in Depoe Bay. But there are some spots that favorite amongst the locals:
- Boiler Bay State Scenic Viewpoint
- Rocky Creek State Scenic Viewpoint
- Otter Crest Viewpoint
- Devil’s Punch Bowl
Or enjoy the show from the comfort of your own room at Channel House, some of the best seats in town for whale watching.
As one of the most popular and picturesque areas along the Oregon Coast, Cape Foulweather is a must see during your weekend in Depoe Bay. Descending over 500 ft. above the Pacific Ocean, this basalt formation creates one of the most dramatic coastal views in the state.
Depoe Bay Bridge:
An Oregon Coast landmark, the Depoe Bay Bridge is an iconic structure that spans either side of the world’s smallest harbor. Enjoy a walk across the bridge for a different view of the town. Located next door to Channel House, this is an easy add-on to any weekend in Depoe Bay.
Take an evening or a lazy afternoon to explore downtown Depoe Bay. There are several art galleries, antique shops, plus tasty ice cream and candy shops that sprinkle the streets, perfect for an evening or afternoon stroll. A few suggestions include:
- Depoe Baykery – If you are looking to satisfy your sweet tooth first thing in the morning, head to Depoe Baykery for some of their freshly baked goodies.
- Pacific Coast Gallery – Find local artists and their work highlighting the beauty of the Oregon Coast.
- Depoe Bay Winery – Relax with a glass of wine in hand at the Depoe Bay Winery, while enjoying the beauty of the Oregon Coast sunsets.
- Fuddy Duddy Fudge & Gifts – Satisfy your sweet tooth and come in to try their handmade candy and treats, like chocolate and taffy!
For a full list of Depoe Bay shopping visit here for things to do in Depoe Bay.
Where to eat:
While Depoe Bay may not offer an endless amount of dining options there are a few that are a must try during your weekend in Depoe Bay.
- You don’t have to go far from your stay at Channel House for a good breakfast in Depoe Bay. Our daily breakfast cooks up fresh, flaky pastries, fresh fruit, cereals, granola and so much more!
- Big Mountain Coffees – For a unique local coffee try Big Mountain Coffees. Featuring a full espresso bar, fruit smoothies, and freshly baked goods, this is a great stop-over in the morning or for an afternoon pick-me-up.
- Gracie’s Sea Hag – If you are looking for fresh seafood done in a classic way, head out to the long-standing establishment, Gracie’s Sea Hag. A local favorite is known for their award-winning fresh clam chowder and their classic basket of the classic fish n’ chips.
- The Horn Public House and Brewery – Enjoy a local brew from the onsite brewery with a piece of Chicago style pizza for a classic American meal.
- Tidal Raves Seafood Grill – Dinner at Tidal Raves offers a twist on traditional coastal cuisine. Be sure to take a look at their extensive wine list for a glass to pair your meal with. For dinnertime, whale watching sit by the window, which provides unobstructed views of the coastline and the Pacific.
- Restaurant Beck – Located at our sister property, Whale Cove Inn, Restaurant Beck brings to life locally sourced food in a creative and tasteful way. As a James Beard Semi-Finalist for best chef NW, you can expect expertly prepared food from this fine dining establishment.
And if you want to expand your culinary horizons outside of Depoe Bay, check out our guide to Cheap Eats on the Oregon Coast.
Where to stay:
Perched upon on a beautiful oceanfront bluff, overlooking the Pacific Ocean, Channel House is the ideal place to stay for your Oregon Coast weekend in Depoe Bay. Check out our rooms and suites for your ideal Depoe Bay accommodations. To enhance your stay, be sure to take advantage of our extra packages, that offer a little something special for your getaway.
Or take a look at our sister property, Whale Cove Inn. Their suites offer the highest level of premium accommodations in the heart of Depoe Bay.